Here’s the deal. Freelancing is not for the faint of heart. Some days you will be strutting your stuff and thinking you are the greatest thing since they figured out how to weave Spandex into jeans and some days you’ll feel like that tiny rock that gets wedged in the crevices of the sole of your sneaker. The really really, tiny rock. But you’re still freelancing and that, my friend, is a pretty cool place to be. You just don’t necessarily know which kind of day it will be when you pour that first cup of coffee in the morning.
But one thing I know for sure, there will be times at any given point in your career that you may need to pinch a few pennies to squeak through the lean times. It happens, and it can happen at any point too. I won’t list all the reasons you may find yourself in this situation since I am all about positivity and delivering uplifting messages, right? Right?
So here are a few tips to get you through the lean times. You can thank me later.
1) Don’t get a new phone unless you dropped yours or someone stole it. Whatever you have is fine, no matter how often your teenager rolls his or her eyes when you pull it out in front of his or her friends.
2) Only buy accessories, I’m not talking about designer bags or shoes, but cute scarves and cheap and cheerful jewelry can really spiff up a basic outfit.
3) Start cooking at home, people. I just made a pan grilled fish and sautéed spinach with mushrooms, garlic and a little bacon and I swear to you I had it all done in 15 minutes. I’ll send the recipe for the spinach if you like. I made it up myself.
4) Use up everything before you buy new. Art supplies, hair products, condiments. Who knows what brilliant designs, new hair styles and menu items you can come up with before you have to shop again? But send me the pictures of your new hair. I promise not to post them anywhere. Really…I promise. Mostly.
5) Go to the library! They have the most amazing art books to lose yourself in when you’re having a less than creative day. Some libraries even have coffee shops in them now, mine doesn’t– but then our first stand-alone Starbucks is being built as I type this.
So there you have it, let me know if any of these work for you and if you want the world’s least expensive MBA in Art Licensing?* You could buy my book you know!
*It doesn’t exist, I looked it up.